Our Bamboo Fabric – How it is made
We do not buy our fabric off a roll, we custom make our fabric. Our fabric is superior in it's quality and weight. Our Bamboo is 260gsm to provide a beautiful mid weight that creates a wonderfully smooth silhouette.
Our Bamboo grows naturally without fertilizers, pesticides or insecticides and with no irrigation, with only rain water. At harvest time the green shoots of the Bamboo are cut and then soaked in a solution to soften. We use a closed loop system, so all liquid is recycled and all solvents are captured and removed, keeping the process as eco-friendly as possible. Once the Bamboo has been dehydrated it is pulverised and the bamboo pulp is extracted and dried. Once dried the bamboo is ground into a feathery soft fibre. This feather like fibre is then spun into a yarn that we use for the craft of our luxuriously soft garments.
Our bamboo clothing, along with most others, is made in China. Lou Lou Australia is Australian owned and designed. We are a small family business. We do all designing, pattern making and sampling in Australia. Unfortunately, bamboo is not grown and processed at scale within Australia to produce the fabric here. Our organically grown bamboo is farmed and produced ethically in China, with a small family business we have been using for over 10 years.
- Social & Environmental Responsibility -
At Lou Lou Australia we believe in social and environmental responsibility. We do not buy our fabric, we manufacture our own fabric which gives us greater control over not only avoiding causing harm, but benefiting the world we live in with zero fabric dumped. Although the process of making our yarn does involve the use of some chemical solvents, the process does not use harmful chemicals. All of our workers wear appropriate protective clothing and the chemical solvents are broken down into salt and water at the end of processing and recycled. We reduce, reuse and recycle wherever possible. Our factories are committed to the environment by reducing emissions and recycling all waste. We pay all factory workers appropriately, ensure happy, healthy and friendly working environments and do not employ staff under the age of 18 years. We visit multiple times per year and over the years have developed life long friendships with many of our factory workers, who even to their joy, take their much loved pets to work!
- Sustainable Production –
We produce timeless, classic pieces that are trans-seasonal and versatile. We aim to provide long lasting wardrobe essentials as part of the slow fashion movement.
Bamboo Fabric – Good for You
- Our Bamboo fabric is luxuriously soft
- Bamboo fabric is gentle on even the most sensitive skin
- Our fabric is naturall hypoallergenic which means it is particularly suitable for eczema sufferers and those with extra sensitive skin
- Bamboo fabric is known to naturally provide UV protection
- Bamboo fabric is breathable & thermo-regulating
- Our Bamboo fabric is moisture wicking, keeping you fresh and dry, allowing your skin to breathe
- Our Bamboo fabric naturally contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungal bio-agents
- Our Bamboo fabric is naturally odour resistant
- Our fabric requires little to no ironing which makes it the perfect travel companion
- Our fabric is anti-static
Bamboo Fabric – Good for the Planet
- Bamboo requires only natural rainfall to grow, so no irrigation
- Bamboo grows organically free of pesticides, insecticides and fertilisers
- Bamboo plants produce approximately 35% more oxygen than trees
- Bamboo reduces more carbon dioxide and green house gases in the atmosphere than the equivalent stand of trees
- No replanting is required which means no soil erosion
- Bamboo is the fastest growing woody plant in the World! New stems are able to be harvested again and again
- Our fabric is produced in accordance with published standards which ban the use of harmful azo-dyes, phthalates and APEO’s.